INTERNATIONAL SIGN WORKSHOP
Europe is fast becoming increasingly multi-cultural and this looks set to continue. From immigrants to European workers from the ‘new EU’ countries, a new wave of deaf internationals are moving to live, study and work in other countries, but can struggle to access opportunities and services without adequate language skills. Learning International Sign is the key way to embrace them and overcome these initial communication barriers – a unique skill which will become increasingly in demand.
We are delighted to introduce an ‘International Sign’ workshop. The course is recommended for those who already have advanced skill in any sign language. Those who use Sign Language in work or at home on a daily basis (such as SL interpreters and Deaf people) would benefit from this course. This workshop aims to expand participants’ use of their visual language strategies and be able to grasp a working knowledge of International Sign (IS).
The workshop will look at the fundamental concepts and strategies of using IS and challenge participants in tasks that reflect real-life situations. Starting with the basics of using it as a contact language, participants will move on to learn translation and interpreting strategies with people from other cultural and language backgrounds.
This workshop aims to introduce competent users of any one signed language, such as Sign Language interpreters, to expand their use of the visual vernacular and be able to grasp a basic understanding of International Sign.
At the end of the workshop, participants will:
- Develop an understanding of the international history of Sign Languages and how past events have had implications on sign language structure and grammar across nations.
- Gain an insight in how International Sign works and how to overcome cultural barriers.
- Be able to step from reliance on a certain Sign Language or verbal expressions and convey dialogue using visual and globally recognised signs and gesture.
- Achieve new standards in translation, conversation, presentation and receptive skills, with both their own signed language as well as in International Sign.
- Participants will have the confidence to start working in international settings.